Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Paige Surfs Solo!

This past weekend was absolutely beautiful. A perfect 75-78 degrees at the beach with a light offshore breeze. For anyone who lives on this coast, this is about as good as it gets. The only thing missing is the 75-78 degree water.

Both Paige and Jimmy now have their own brand new wetsuits. No more rentals! They both seem much more content in the cold water with a suit that actually fits them properly. So, since the addition of two new wetsuits to our collection, we have been trying to get to the beach a little more often. (It could also have something to do with my obsession to surf every moment I can now!)

The kids have been practicing a lot on the body board, trying to catch a little whitewater and mini shore break. They have also been throwing themselves into the waves, getting tumbled and pounded, coming up with with a shiver and a little sand in the ears. All of this is awesome. I am stoked to see them enjoying it, gaining their confidence and learning to respect the ocean.

Jimmy showing off his new wetsuit, ready to hit the waves.

Jimmy becoming more and more confident every time we go.

Happy boy!
Paige and her friend taking on the shore break.
Paige showing Jimmy the proper stance. I just love them together in this picture with their almost matching wetsuits.
When ever we are not at the beach and we are talking about surfing, Paige talks big about how she is going to surf on the big board standing up. We have been practicing on the surfboard, when it is not in the water, on how to paddle, pop up and maintain the proper stance. She is doing great. Her pop ups are right on. Once she got it down pretty well, I kept telling her next time we go to the beach you can practice this in the water. It is a very different experience when the board is moving. Our first few trips to the beach, I found out very quickly that Paige was all talk. Every time, she would down right refuse to let me take her out on the board. Even though the white water is knee high and the water depth is waist high, on Paige!

So this past weekend, I finally succeeded in getting her on the board. She refused at first, but with some gentle persuasion, she did it. I know her, and I knew once she got over her fear of it and did it, she would absolutely love it. And I was right!

I didn't have her try to paddle the board. It is a 10ft soft top and I can barely carry the thing it is so heavy. Instead, I held the board steady for her to stand up. When the water came toward us, I just gave her a gentle push to get the board moving. The wave did the rest!


First time up. I am talking her through where to place her feet on the board.
I am so excited, I couldn't contain myself. I was hooting and hollering out there!
After a short break from my lesson, Paige wanted more, so Doug took her out and pushed her into a few good ones!
Look at that smile!
She has come a long way from this at 2-1/2 years old!

I am so incredibly proud of her and she was proud of herself!


I know a lot of people read this and think it is so cute and amazing that I am exposing my kids to this at such a young age. Others may think I am nuts. Regardless, I do not expect any of my kids to become pro surfers. If that happens, then great. It will be their choice to pursue. We are exposing our kids to this because we are passionate about this amazing sport and we want them to appreciate and love it as much as we do. We also know it is possible that one, two or all three of them may never like it and we will be fine with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment