Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Me and My Hula Girl

Since September, Paige and I have been taking a Hula/Tahitian dance class at The Spark of Creation Dance Studio. I signed Paige up for a 5-week session this past summer to see if she would like it. She had been taking ballet at the community center, but seemed to be getting bored. She ended up loving the hula class! I had been planning on signing her up for a dance school, which runs weekly classes for the duration of a school year and has performances. When it came time for enrollment, I noticed they had beginning adult Hula/Tahitian and thought, hhhhhmmmm...that is something I have always wanted to do!
Here is Paige on her first day of class.
So here we are, 4 months in and we are both loving it. We recently had our first recital on December 10th. We had so much fun. It was Paige's first time on a stage ever and my first time on stage since High School. Paige was in a terrible mood all day and then she melted down in the dressing area because she didn't like the tube top she had to wear. I was convinced she was going to get on stage and stand there. But she didn't! She danced the whole dance the best she could and she did such a great job. I was able to watch her from back stage and I was just beaming with pride! It was awesome!
Paige is on the far right.



My group went on two groups after Paige's. I was so nervous. I was part excited, part nervous and part teary-eyed from watching Paige. At the beginning, I was shaking so much from nerves, my arms didn't feel very graceful. About a few lines in, I started to relax and have fun. It was a great experience and I am very much looking forward to our year end recital in June.



I am so glad to have gotten into this. My plan is is to stick with it for some time and see how far I get through the classes. As for Paige, I hope she sticks with it too. Right now she loves it, but we will see what the next year brings! Aloha!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment