Friday, October 22, 2010

Why Can't I Protect Them?


For the last few weeks, at some point during the night, Paige will wake up and make her way down the hall to our room. Some nights, she pit stops at the bathroom and other nights she comes straight to us. She doesn't say anything, just crawls up the middle of our bed with her pillow and night night in hand. Puts her pillow right between Doug and I, just so. Then lays down, curls up and pulls her blanket over her. Almost immediately she is right back to sleep. During the remainder of the night, she is usually nudged right up against Doug's back. Which is fine by me, because I can't sleep with anyone touching me. Next to me is fine, just don't touch me. Weird, I know. If you ask her why she comes to our bed, her standard answer, complete with the droopy eyes and little voice, is, "I wanted you."

Last night, Paige moved into our bed around 2:00am. I barely noticed her arrival. At 4:00am, I was up tending to Alyssa. I changed her, fed her and got her settled back to bed. I nuzzled back into my own bed and turned over to look at Paige. The moon was glowing bright amongst a few clouds and lit up our room through the sliding glass door. Laying there, peacefully sleeping, Paige looked like a little angel. I just gazed at her. Rubbed her soft little cheeks. Kissed her gently on the forehead. This sweet, innocent little child. How amazing and beautiful she is. I sat there and thought about how much I love her and how I wish I could protect her from all the bad in the world. But I can't. Kids will make fun of her at school, boys will break her heart, scrapes, bumps and bruises will happen...and let's hope that will be the worst of it. All I can do is be there when she is down, kiss her boo boos and let her cry on my shoulder when her heart gets broken.

Now I may do a lot of ranting on this blog about taking care of the kids and how much things suck sometimes. Being a stay at home mom of 3 kids under the age of 3.5 is hard. In fact, being a full time mom is harder than any other job I have ever had. What a lot of moms don't talk about is the good stuff. All the amazing moments and fun times with their kids. The funny, cute, adorable and hilarious things they do and say on a daily basis. I follow a blog written by Sara Olsher and in one of her postings about parenting, she said it best... "I also now understand why parents never talk about the joyous part of it - because I won't either (unless asked).  It's totally nauseating and I would never want to inflict that upon unsuspecting friends and relatives." (Sara Olsher is the only bride that I kept in touch with in my 3 years working with my brother. During that time, I worked with over 100 brides...she really was my favorite one to work with.)

Anyway, I digress...regardless of how hard my days can be, how much ranting you have read and will read in the future on my blog...I love my children so much. Which is why I wish I could protect them from all things horrible. I have to try not to worry...but I will. Guess it just goes with the territory of raising kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment